Sunday 17 March 2013

Are you a communicator or lurker?

I think we have all been lurkers at various times.   More and more I lurk on facebook because it is a social media site that I am becoming almost disinterested in (no offence to the people for whom FB is our common ground and sharing point - all 50 of you - its the other 400 odd I wonder about)

Its all about receive, read and respond.  It sounds simple but just how good are we at making sure emails are getting to the right place.  
I regularly check my emails - it is how I make it through a day - to open my inbox and see 60 unread messages would cause heart palpitations.  And in honesty I am good at responding to people there and then.   If I don't use this system then the file is 'lost' in my mind and inbox.

Are we installing the same diligence with our students both in the classroom and online?

We are all good at receiving marking.  The truely diligent of us are good at not only reading but responding through feedforward and comments but ... do we expect that same of our students.  Are we training them to receive the feedback, read and understand the comments and respond in some way - either by fixing up and altering or just acknowledging that they have understood our intentions.     Are we at times encouraging students to be lurkers in their own learning?

My reading this week about communication talked about 3 levels of student engagement when it comes to communication and collaboration
1.  The engaged student who gets things done and is making progress
2. The procrastinator 
3. The disengaged.

Which one are you?  Does it change depending on the type of communication?   Where do your students fit into this.

I read an awesome blog in the weekend about student blogging and the purpose for the exercise.   It made me think about the disengaged student in relation to my own disengagement.  I have had a twitter account for a few years - it was a requirement of the FTP programme. So I opened an account, used it once or twice and left it at that - I didn't get it - I couldn't see the point and so I was totally disengaged.   
It wasn't until by choice I saw how much collaboration and communication was right there at my fingertips that I began to see and understand the value of twitter.  Suddenly I am actively communication and responding, I am widening my circle and challenging my ideas.   This is having a profound effect on my teaching - daily 5 for one, blogging, collaboration, debate.  But I needed to see the purpose and I think that this is true of many students.   

If I can empower in my students the need to communicate and share with others in their learning the tools will become irrelevant.   As my students leave our school I want them to be able to communicate effectively using voice, on paper and on-line.   The ability to communicate and articulate ideas is key.

In our world today
90% of people watch but don't actively participate
9% show some form of communication
1% create and collaborate content.

Which percentage are you?    Which percentage are your students?







2 comments:

  1. Great post. I definitely have students who fit all 3 categories. For groups #2 and #3, I think part of this is the poor level of exposure to communication and technology at home, their comfort level with both, and their understanding of the importance of connecting. What tools do you plan on using with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete